Join the team at the L.H. Thomson Company, Inc. as a Purchasing Manager. Become part of our team of hard working professionals who are dedicated to keeping our company strong and growing.
This hands-on position requires the ability to create and maintain strong vendor relationships and negotiation skills to ensure the best pricing. We are seeking a professional with strong interpersonal skills who will work cohesively with all internal and external customers.
Thomson is well established in the aerospace industrial sector and the Thomson line of high-end patented bicycle components is well respected in the bicycle industry. Our expertise in these areas provides us with many growth opportunities.
If you would like to contribute to, and support our, growth efforts, then Thomson is the place for you.
- Works closely with management, employees and vendors to responsibly purchase material by continuously researching material suppliers to obtain the best prices to continue to make a profit while meeting our customers’ needs at the best price
- Purchases material for jobs at the least cost. Works with management and engineering to obtain best prices on material and hardware for quoting new work.
- Determines eligible vendors. Upon management approval, gets competitive quotes, processes purchase orders and determines required date of delivery to meet production and customer’s deadlines.
- Researches previous material purchases in ERP system (Global Shop) and assists management and engineering to determine best options for new work.
- Maintains a solid relationship with vendors and visits vendor’s facilities when necessary.
- Communicates with Quality regarding incoming material from vendor and if there are any problems and/or rejections, communicates with vendor to resolve any issues.
- Reviews requisitions for complete information, account number, job number, tax status, vendor, quantity, part number, complete description and initials of approval. Works with the person submitting the requisition for clarification if necessary.
- Initiates material requisitions by continuously monitoring material inventory to assure that all production schedules can be met.
- Continuously tracks orders and adjusts the delivery schedule as needed to meet production requirements, thereby controlling inventory costs.
- Assists Accounts Payable in resolving discrepancies between an invoice and the PO. Also assists Accounts Payable when the proper paperwork has not been received so that the invoice can be paid.
- Works with Quality to verify correct certifications have been received on all material.
- Able to bend, stoop, twist, reach and move boxes not weighing more than 40 pounds.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Problem solving skills
- Results Driven
- Customer/Client focus
- Attention to detail
- Organizational/General Math Skills
- Data Entry/PC Proficiency
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and fax machines.
- College degree or 5 years of responsible work experience as a buyer, purchasing agent or purchasing manager; preferably in a manufacturing environment.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with vendors and co-workers.
- Must possess excellent organizational ability in order to set priorities, organize workload, handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Must conduct oneself in a professional manner, maintain confidentiality and work competently with minimal supervision.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and able to learn and incorporate skills relative to company software, office equipment and position.
- Perform basic mathematical computations with a high degree of accuracy (E.g. Calculate Purchase Order costs, determine shipping weights, create spreadsheets).
The L. H. Thomson Company, located in Macon, Georgia, is a privately held manufacturing company. Thomson is 90 miles south of Atlanta and is a short commute to Warner Robins, Georgia, recently recognized as one of “The Best Places to Raise Kids” in Business Week.
Thomson offers an excellent benefits package and competitive salary. Come make a difference at Thomson. See our website at www.lhthomson.com.
L.H. Thomson Company, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with all applicable employment laws and is a Drug Free Work Place.